Tuesday 19 May 2015

Shrek the Musical: The Kings Theatre, Glasgow May 2015



I initially hoped to have posted this review a couple of days ago but somehow it's Tuesday already and I haven't quite got round to it-the days really do fly by! Anyway, it's here now and that's all that really matters I suppose. So here it goes.......
A few days ago, Thursday 14th May to be precise my family, my lovely friend Heather, her lovely friend Karen and I went to see Shrek the Musical at The Kings Theatre in Glasgow. Ever since I was little, Shrek has been one of my all-time favourite films. It's one of those films that everyone loves and I'm pretty sure it'll remain a firm favourite for many years to come. In my opinion, Shrek is a modern day classic. 
Shrek the Musical take the audience on a journey through the fairy-tale story we all know and love featuring Shrek the ogre, Donkey, Princess Fiona and of course it just wouldn't be Shrek without the appearances of some other familiar faces such as Pinocchio, Gingy, the three little pigs alongside many others.
The show which first hit the UK's West End back in 2011 features a selection of brand new songs written especially for the musical. The cast also perform I'm A Believer, the classic number from the movie's final scene. To be honest, it wouldn't have been Shrek without I'm A Believer. Literally, as soon the first few notes began to play there were people up on their feet dancing and those who remained seated could not help but sing and clap along. Let's face it; it's too hard not too!
The show was absolutely hilarious and had the entire audience, both adults and children in heaps of laughter from start to finish. Out of the entire cast, Lord Farquaad was by far my favourite character. Gerard Carrey who played Lord Farquaad during the performance, portrayed the character to absolute perfection. He was extremely amusing and his likeness to the character was uncanny! Evidently, he'd watched the movie over and over again studying every tiny detail until he knew the character inside out. I'm pretty sure anyone who has already seen the show will agree that it felt as if Lord Farquaad himself, had actually jumped out of the TV screen and on to the stage right there in front us!
An enormous dragon was even brought out onto the stage on a handful of occasions, which  as you can imagine was pretty spectacular! It's actually a wonder how they even managed to store it backstage alongside the vast amount of props and scenery used throughout the show. Having been on a couple of backstage tours at The Kings Theatre, the storing faculties are pretty limited so I can only begin to imagine just how cramped it must have been back there!
Overall, Shrek the Musical is a feel good family show filled to the brim with catchy songs, great dancing, humour and of course a little bit of fairy-tale magic! I would recommend this show to families with young children in particular, they'll love every second of it! To find out more details on Shrek the Musical's future tour UK tour dates click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment