Wednesday 4 March 2015

Prince & 3rd Eye Girl: PLECTRUMELECTRUM Review


 
 
Despite being released almost six months ago, I've decided to write a review on PLECTRUMELECTRUM, Prince and his new band 3rd Eye Girl's debut album. On the exact same date last September, Prince also released a solo album named Art Official Age. After months of wishing for the chance to see Prince in concert, I actually got to attend one of the shows during his Hit & Run tour of the UK and Europe last year! As you can imagine; the entire show from start to finish was incredible!
 I really admire the talent and high standard of playing that each of the musicians in 3rd Eye Girl bring to the band as both live performers and on their album. I absolutely love the fact that Prince has chosen an all female band to play alongside. Personally speaking, I don't think that there is enough women in the music industry so I really grasp onto the ones such as the ladies in 3rd Eye Girl that I come across. Their music really inspires me to work hard when learning bass and perhaps one day I'll be able to play at as high a standard as them!
With this in mind I want to share with you all 3rd Eye Girl's debut album PLECTRUMELECTRUM. PLECTRUMELECTRUM is a brilliant rock album, with a few flares of other genres flowing through a selection of tracks.
3rd Eye Girl consists of music iconic Prince, Donna Grantis on guitar, Hannah Ford on drums and of course, Ida Nielsen on bass. What I really love about this album is that it really brings out each members own unique flare and personality within each of the tracks. Since discovering them I've spent a lot of time watching interviews and listening to other material that each of girls have worked on prior to 3rd Eye Girl. From that it's evident that their latest work really depicts each of them as an individual.
The album has a bunch of tracks featuring some absolutely stunning guitar solos performed by both Prince himself, who is a completely undated guitar player (seriously you need to check out some of his solos-they'll blow you away!) and Donna Grantis. If you're a rock fan definitely check out the opening number WOW, which features one of those excellent guitar solos! I also recommend, Fixurlifeup which also happens to happened to be one of the singles which was released a months in advance of the album's release.
PLECTRUMELECTRUM, the title track is a brilliant rock instrumental piece which if you are a guitar fanatic like me you'll absolutely fall in love with. I'm unsure who exactly takes lead on guitar during this track-perhaps it's both Prince and Donna together. Nevertheless it sounds incredible and proves just how awesome 3rd Eye Girl really are!
Following PLECTRUMELECTRUM, a gentler rock ballad named Whitecaps begins to play. Whitecaps just so happens to be another of my very favourites from the entire album. Hannah Ford, the band's drummer performs on lead vocals throughout the song. I must say, Hannah has the most amazing voice; it's simply stunning! Her vocals flow well with the track and completely captivates the listener.
Alongside the range of heavy rock tracks with the much loved guitar solos, PLECTRUMELECTRUM features a hip-hop feel in a song named Boytrouble. Again, this song really gives 3rd Eye Girl's bassist, Ida Nielsen the opportunity to bring her personality to the album. I've checked out some of Ida's solo albums and I can see her style shining through each song. Staying true to her hip-hop/R&B style she brings her own unique flare to the album and more particularly Boytrouble.
The final track of the album is named Funknroll, which is most definitely in my top three songs from the album. Funknroll also featured on Prince's solo album Art Official Age which was released last September with a different mix. Just as it says in the song title this particular track feature that funk sound that was used throughout his earlier albums. It's one of those songs that you can't really sit still whilst listening to it!
Overall, this is another great album from Prince and of course an excellent debut album from the ladies of 3rd Eye Girl. It has a great live music feel which I absolutely love! I really hope that there is lots more to come from 3rd Eye Girl in the near future! If you're looking for some new music to listen, I totally recommend that you go buy their album! You never know, they might become your new favourite!

No comments:

Post a Comment